Popular Posts

Thursday, March 12, 2020

The Truth of our Democracy

        For my junior theme I explored the question of why trust in government has decreased in recent years. Many of the sources I reviewed were declassified files released by the U.S. government. These files showed the depth of the mistreatment of citizens. I also looked at the separation of treatment towards different groups of people based on race. Although this mistreatment has occurred for many years, the reason the decrease in trust is recent is because of the usage of internet and the mass amount of information available. 


        Throughout my research I learned a lot about the depth of the cruelty of our government. After this project my personal trust in the government has definitely decreased. Some surprising information I learned is about the government dosing unknowing citizens with LSD and the sterilization of many unknowing Native American women. I also read about Edward Snowden, who released lots of information about the NSA. This information includes their ability to track almost any citizen through the location services on cellular phones and the ability to intercept emails and phone calls from almost all citizens. This information really shocked me and made me feel as though I have little to no privacy in almost all aspects of my life. In the end this turned out to be a much deeper topic than I expected which has a lot more information for me to learn about. I believe the government should be transparent to their citizens in order to hold the integrity of a true democracy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment